The Ephrata Public Library is a passport office for the United States Department of State.
Appointments are not necessary. Walk-in service is available anytime during our normal passport office hours, which are Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m.-7 p.m , Friday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. and Sunday 12 p.m.-5 p.m.
Our passport office can provide passport photos for $10. This includes 2 identical photos, one of which is required for both new and renewal passport applications.
For complete information about obtaining a passport, visit the Department of State's Passport Page. http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
When the library closes early, the Passport/Village Post Office will close 1 hour earlier. If the library opens late, the Passport/Village Post Office will open at the same time as the library.
To see if the library has a delayed opening or an early closing, check WGAL-TV 8.
The office will close at 12:00 PM on Saturday, April 12 for an In-Service.
For most people applying for a passport, you will need the following items:
- Passport Applications – You can obtain a passport application at the library or download here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html
- Proof of Citizenship – You will need the following: birth certificate or naturalization certificate, photo ID and passport photos.
- Birth Certificate: This must be the original, state issued document with a raised seal. It should say "birth certificate" or "certification of birth" and be issued from the "Department of Vital Statistics." The original document will be sent with the passport application and returned to you. If you do not have a original, state issued birth certificate, click here to obtain information on getting one. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm
- Naturalization Certificate: This must be the original document with a raised seal. This will be sent with the passport application and returned to you.
- Valid Photo Identification with Signature. Your driver’s license is the best choice.
- Passport Photos. 2 identical photos with strict specifications must be submitted. You can have these taken at the library for $10 per person.
NOTE: Children 15 and under need both parents to be present. Teens between 16-18 must have proof of parental consent or a parent present at the time of application.
No white out is allowed to be used on a passport application.
Click here for current passport fees. http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html
The library accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover and personal checks for new passport applications. Renewal transactions must be made with a personal check; we only take charge cards for NEW transactions.
Birth Certificate Information:
Beginning April 1, 2011 all United States birth certificates submitted for minor and adult passport applications must contain the name of the parent(s) in addition to the previous requirements. All United States birth certificates must meet all of the following criteria:
- Show the full name of the parent(s);
- Be issued by the office of vital statistics of the state, county, or city where the birth occurred;
- Show the full name of child;
- Indicate the date and place of birth;
- Bear the embossed, impressed, multi-colored, or raised seal and signature of the issuing authority;
- Indicate a registration or file date that is within one year of the birth; and
- Be an original and certified document (notarized copies and photocopies are not accepted);
- Both parents names must be present on the certificate